1. How long will it take to add extensions to my own hair?
This will depend on the look you are going for and consequently how many extensions it will take to achieve that look. On average a thickening process could take 1-3 hours and a lengthening process 4-5 hrs.
2. How long does my hair have to be to have hair extensions?
4-5 inches but the nape of neck hair can be a little shorter 3 inches minimum.
3. Will my hair look natural?
All our extensions are custom-made for you. For Real hair, we keep detailed records of your color and order the hair in for each individual client. For fake hair we blend all of our hair in front of our clients for a truly natural effect, we take great care to blend in a range of both highlights and lowlights into each head of hair we work with, so that your extensions have exactly the same depth and reflectiveness of any natural head of human hair. All this makes your extensions truly undetectable from the real thing
4. Will Extensions damage my hair?
This is a commonly asked question. When extensions are applied properly there is virtually no reason why they would damage your hair, and to this end, thousands of women have used extensions to grow their own hair to the desired length with no adverse effects whatsoever. However, that is not to say everybody's hair is suitable for extensions. At Lucinda Ellery, we take the safety of your hair very seriously and take every reasonable precaution to ascertain the suitability of your hair before commencing with the extensions. This includes a free consultation and free test extensions as well as complimentary check-up appointments while you are wearing the extensions. Everybody experiences normal hair shedding, don't worry, this is entirely natural. You will notice on your hairbrush, whether you wear extensions or not, that you shed between 70 to 100 hairs a day - adding up to around 3,000 hairs a month or 36,000 a year. It seems a lot but on average we have at least 100,000 to 150,000 hairs on our heads alone, so this rate of growth and renewal is entirely normal.
5. How long will my extensions last?
Both Real Hair extensions and fake hair extensions are designed to last 2 years.
6. Should I give my hair a rest between extensions?
There is no need if they are properly applied and removed, so your own hair remains undamaged. Most people prefer to have their extensions removed and replaced on the same day, so their hair continues looking as good as ever.
7. Can I bath, shower, swim, go out in the wind and rain, and play sport in my new extensions?
Your\ new hair will look as fabulous wet as it does dry, and the extension joins will not show in water. You can shower, swim and go out in the wind and rain without having to worry. Our hair extensions perform as well on the sports field or in a gale as the thickest head of rooted hair. They are so well connected to your own hair that they are indistinguishable from natural hair and just as tough.
8. What about sun and salt-water damage?
Treat your extensions exactly as well as would your own hair and they should not suffer during daily wear.
9. What happens when extensions are removed?
There are two different techniques. For fake hair, the seal protecting where the extensions are braided to your own hair is gently heated to soften it and the extension easily comes away. For real hair where a bonding resin is used, we apply a release solution that allows us to remove the individual extensions safely and efficiently.
10. Why is the real hair more expensive than handmade hair?
When the desired length is around 10 inches there isn't a great deal of difference between the two costs but as you start to think about long lengths, real hair can cost around double the price of fake hair. The main reason for this is that fake hair can be produced in a relatively short period, whereas real hair has to be grown for years thus making it an expensive commodity.
11. Will my scalp still be able to breathe naturally with extensions?
Our extensions are fitted close to the hair roots and scalp but do not block them, so you will be able to feel and touch your scalp as normal.
12. Do I need to buy expensive shampoos and conditioners?
On Fake hair, you can use any shampoo and conditioner but it is advised you buy a conditioning spray that is specifically designed for fake hair and helps keep it in great condition. For real hair most shampoos and conditioners are fine to use, however, those that contain proteins should be avoided and you should avoid extension shampoos that have not been designed for the Lucinda Ellery system.
13. Can I use a hairdryer, hot rollers, and other styling equipment?
Yes, you can use all of the above with real hair however with fake hair straightening irons and curling tongs cannot be used. We will explain and if you would prefer to show you exactly how to achieve the styles you want.
14. Is it safe to leave my hair to dry naturally?
Yes, once again, you can treat your extensions just like your own hair.
15. If I fancy a new hair color, how will that match up with my extensions?Any extension hair we use is perfectly matched in color to your own. If your roots need doing before extensions are added, or you fancy a complete change of color, we can color your own head of hair ahead of any extensions work. We then add extensions that will have been carefully blended in front of your very eyes to exact match whichever color you have chosen.